1. I have seen on numerous occasions that Amateurs have problems hitting crisp iron shots. Most of the amateur players and club golfers often struggle with the Fat shots/ Thin shots, and extremely weak Banana shots.
2. In my personal view they have two fatal flaws :-
(a) First, their takeaway tends to be too low to the ground, which delays the proper hinging of the wrists until it becomes too late in the backswing.
(b) Second, in an effort to create power, they tend to swing their arms too far in the backswing (almost -ve shaft lean on the top of the back swing). This causes a breakdown in posture and usually leads to a reverse pivot.
3. These two stated flaw causes mis-hits and a lack of distance and control. However in order to correct this lack of power , you need to take Several simple steps to gain control over the length of the swing in order to create more solid contact.
(a) At setup, make sure that about 45-degree angle is present between the left arm and the clubshaft. This will start the swing with the wrists already in a hinged position halfway to the necessary 90 degrees required for power.
(b) During the takeaway, the hands should stay close to the ground while the clubhead moves up quickly but not too quickly. The goal is to get the left thumb pointing at the right shoulder as soon as possible.
(c) When left arm is parallel to the ground and the clubshaft is perpendicular to your left arm, this is the perfect position. you’ll know you’ve achieved the proper wrist hinge.
(d) This move sets the wrists much earlier in the backswing, eliminating the need to swing the arms too far back at the top. The prominent tendency to lose posture and reverse pivot will be removed with this more compact golf swing.
3. Creating the proper wrist hinge in the backswing will lead to noticeably better ballstriking and, as a result, more consistent distance and direction on all your iron shots.
4. Do subscribe the instructional blog by leaving your mail in the bottom section of the blog and click the subscribe button for continuous updates. You will receive the instant notification as and when I will post the new instructional blog on www.simplylearngolf.com.
Also you can follow the ‘JOE’s Life Skills Lab‘ and get yourself enrolled in my E – Mail Newsletter “SUNDAY RETAZOS” sent exclusively to my subscribers with weekly updates on Mindful Productivity, life lessons and interesting articles I discover during the Week. I AM SURE YOU DO NOT LIKE TO MISS OUT ON THIS .